NIHOTOUR, Enugu campus is situated within the premises of Women Training College (WTC) now known and called WTC Estate at Ogui New Layout, Enugu. It was formally called Nigerian Hotel and Catering School (NHCS) Enugu campus. The School was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 1980 as a training arm under the then Federal Ministry of Trade and Industry.
Nigerian Hotel and Catering School (NHCS) was later merged with the National Institute for Hospitality and Tourism (NIHOTOUR) which came into existence in 1988 as a result of tripartite agreement between the United Nations Development Programmes (UNDP), International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) signed in 1987 vide the project document NIR/85/004 of 1987. It is also one of the parastatals under the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture. It is an apex Institution in the Hospitality and Tourism training for the ECOWAS sub-region.
MANDATE: NIHOTOUR has a specific mandate assigned to it, among are
- Provision of platform for human capital development in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
- To regulate training programme, professional practice and personnel.
- Conducting and publishing research work for the advancement of the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
- Presently, the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) at its 76th regular meeting considered and approves the application of the Institute for Tourism Professional to operate as an awarding body. It also considered and approved NIHOTOUR as a Sector Skill Council and Training Provider for Hospitality and Tourism/National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) within the framework circular dated 2nd June 2015 refers.
STRUCTURE: The Institute is structured along five major departments namely
- Human Resource and Personnel Management.
- Finance and Accounts.
- Planning, Consultancy and Information Services
STAFF STRENGHT: We have total staff strength of thirty six (36), twenty one academic staff and fifteen non academic staff.
We have presently about sixty five students all drawn from National Technical Certificate (NTC) year one and two, Cookery and Pastry Practice (CPP) respectively.
PROGRAMMES OFFERED: NIHOTOUR, Enugu Zonal Campus offers both medium and long term courses as summarized below
|1||National Technical Certificate||24 months|
|2||Cookery and Pastry Practice||6 months|
|3||Diploma in Hospitality Management||12 months|
|4||Diploma in tourism Management||12 months|
Other tailor-made programmes and in-house training courses are arranged on demand and certificate of participation issued.
WTC Estate, Ogui New Layout,
Phone: 08035166309 (Zonal Coordinator)